There are a million barriers to exercise when you’re a mom, no matter how many children you have and if you work or stay home.
- During nap time, you are either exhausted and napping too or you have other tasks to finish before the baby wakes up.
- In the early morning, just when you find the willpower to get on the treadmill at 6 am, the baby changes their routine and starts waking up earlier.
- You find a spare moment but can’t go get your workout clothes on cause the 3 year old is sleeping in your bedroom.
As a mom, we have to take exercise whenever and however we can get it. Here are some of the best ways I’ve found to burn a couple extra calories when I can:
- Change into work out clothes right when I get home for work. That way, when I find 10 minutes that the kids are quietly playing, I can squeeze in 50 sit ups or squats or a short run on the treadmill.
- Dance and play with your kids. Playing Wii sports (boxing especially!). Doing Bella Dancerella with your 3 year old (and tightening those abs and buttocks in good form while you do!). Practicing your child’s dance routine with them. Running around the house playing chase. Pushing the stroller fast like you’re in a car race.
- When carrying them upstairs, go fast and make it fun.
- Go for a walk everyday with the kids in the stroller. Make it a fast paced walk with hills where possible. Even on cold days – bundle up and get some fresh air and sunshine.
- Just walk around and sit tall with your stomach muscles tightened. Every little bit counts!!!
The latest fitness craze I’ve tried (thanks to my husband and his good friend Dru) is called Crossfit. Crossfit is about strengthening your core body strength and recommends basic, simple exercises to do so. Pull ups, dips, sit ups, etc. The results I’ve seen from people doing crossfit is unbelievable…..including my husband who lost 16 pounds sadly enough before I even noticed!
I like crossfit because it maximizes the results for the time you put into it. A lot of days, the exercises can be completed in 15 minutes. But I must warn you, they are an intense 15 minutes which is why it works. And just having done a couple of days worth of exercises, I can tell that I am already stronger, walking taller, feeling healthier, closer to fitting into my skinny jeans again I wanted to share this with all you working moms because even doing this 2 or 3 times a week, you will see amazing results.